We all know that it is very useful to use a strong password on your Microsoft account to secure it and protect your data from any malicious attack. Usually, it is advised not to reset Windows 10 password periodically once you set a password for your account. You need to update your password only if you have to use a new secret phrase, or you simply forget your current password.
Whatever the reason it might be, Windows 10 provides you several easy methods to change your password, whether you’re using a Microsoft account or any other local account.
Quick steps to Change Account Password on Windows 10
It must be noted that changing the password of your account that is connected to your Microsoft account will also change the password of your Microsoft services, including Outlook.com, OneDrive, etc. You can follow the steps given below to change your Windows 10 account password:
- Press Windows + I key to open Settings and then click on Accounts followed by Sign-in options.
- Now, select the Password option from the “Manage how you sign in to your device” section.
- Then, click on the Change button. After which you need to confirm your current password and create a new password.
- After entering a new password, click on Next button and complete the process by tapping Finish button.
Considering the security measure, Windows 10 doesn’t allow you to set the old password back into your account once you have changed it. Once the steps are successfully completed, you can use the new password to sign in to your Windows 10 account.
How do I Change the Local Account Password on Windows 10?
In case, if you’re using a local account, then you can change the password along with security answers using the Settings app. All you have to do is:
- Go through Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options.
- Click on the “Manage how you sign in to your device” section, and then select the Password option.
- Click the Change button and enter your current password to confirm it.
- Then, click the Next button and create a new password. You can also specify a password hint to make it easier to remember your secret phrase for future use.
- Click the Next button followed by a click on the Finish button.
After you complete the above-mentioned steps, the password will change in your local account. You can also change your password online. For this, you need to visit https://account.live.com/password/reset. Once you open this link in browser, it will ask you to enter your email, phone, or Skype name to reset your password and security info.
How to Change Password from Sign-in Screen on Windows 10?
You can also use the reset option available on the Sign-in screen to change your account password. Sometimes, you might encounter situations when you have to change your Outlook password. To reset Outlook password, you must know your Outlook credentials that might differ from Microsoft username and password. Follow the steps given below to reset a password from the Sign-in screen:
- First of all, click on the “I forgot my password” option appearing on the Sign-in screen.
- Now you need to select the verification option on the basis of your previous configuration. For example, you can select an option to receive a code on an alternate email account.
- Then, confirm the hinted email address and tap the Get code button.
- Check your email account and copy the received code and paste it in the required place.
- Tap the Next button and create a new password.
At last, click the Next button to complete the process. After doing so, you can use the new password to access any device connected with the same Microsoft account.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I unlock my Microsoft account?
- Go to Microsoft Password Reset Page and enter your email address. Then, click on the “Next” button.
- Now, you need to verify your email address. You can do so either by receiving a confirmation code on your email or phone number.
- After choosing one of them, click on the “Next” button.
- At last, follow all the on-screen information to complete the process.
Why did I get a password reset code from Microsoft?
This password reset code from Microsoft allows you to prevent your account from any unauthorized access. This reset code allows you to log in directly to your Microsoft account and then change your password from there.
How do I find out my Microsoft account name and password?
- You need to go to www.office.com and if you’re not already signed in, sign in with your personal Microsoft account, or work or school account when prompted.
- Now, select your account name from the upper-right corner and then select View account from the list of options.