Chromecast devices, like Chromecast (Gen 2, 3, and 3 Ultra), are mainly known for their simplicity and amazing features. Instances may arise when your Chromecast isn’t working properly, or you may be unable to cast from your phone or tablet. In such cases, you can fix the issue by resetting your Chromecast. Resetting the Chromecast device means refreshing it and restoring it to its factory settings. Here, in this article, we have mentioned quick steps to help you know how to reset your Chromecast. So without wasting our time, let’s start!
How to Reset Google Chromecast Using Google Home App?
Follow the below-mentioned steps to factory reset Chromecast using the Google Home app:
- Open the Google Home app on your phone or other devices that you are using. This app allows you to control your Chromecast device.
- Now, click on the Chromecast device that you want to reset.
- Click on the gear-shaped icon located on top-right corner to open its Settings.
- Scroll down and locate Factory reset. Click on it.
- Click OK. After that, a pop-up asking for confirmation for the resetting process will appear on your screen. If you want to continue, tap OK.
Quick Steps to Factory Reset Chromecast Without App
If you don’t have the Google Home app installed on your device, you can use Google TV to factory reset the Chromecast app. All you have to do is:
- First, use the remote and the D-pad to click on your profile icon located at the top-right corner of the home screen.
- Now, choose “Settings” from the menu.
- Go to the “System” section and click on it.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the System settings and press the “Restart” button.
How to Reset Chromecast WiFi using the Dongle?
For Chromecast (1st Generation)
- Connect the Chromecast Gen 1 to the TV. Simultaneously, press the Chromecast reset button on the dongle for about 25 seconds and wait till its LED starts blinking red.
- When the LED starts blinking white light, Chromecast will reboot to complete the reset process.
For Chromecast (Gen 2, 3, and 3 Ultra)
- The process of factory resetting the Generation 2 and Generation 3 Chromecast dongles is somehow similar to resetting Generation 1. To factory reset Chromecast Ultra, you don’t have to hold the reset button for 25 seconds, and even its LED colors are different. In such cases, you have to:
- Connect the Chromecast to the TV and hold the button located on the side. Wait till the LED starts blinking orange light.
- Once the LED light turns white, release the button. The Chromecast will now reboot to complete the reset process.
Why is Chromecast Factory Reset not Working?
If ‘Factory Reset’ is missing or not working properly in the menu on your Home app, try to identify the exact cause of it. The issue mainly arises because of any of the following two reasons:
- You might be using Chromecast with the Google TV model;
- Your smartphone is not communicating with the regular Chromecast device.
In both the cases, you can follow the below-mentioned steps to fix the issue:
- First, make sure that your smartphone and your Chromecast device are properly connected to the same Wi-Fi network. If both the devices are not connected to the same Wi-Fi network, you cannot reset your device.
- Next, ensure that the television that your Chromecast is connected to is ON. Turn on the TV and navigate to the input that activates your Chromecast device. Then, open the Home app and click on the ‘Factory Reset’ option. Go through the steps to factory reset your Chromecast.
Hope, you are now familiar with the process of resetting Google Chromecast. It is very simple and easy to factory reset Google Chromecast. Before resetting, you must note that these steps will erase all data, like the customizations and third-party apps forever. Once it is reset, apply the steps to setup Chromecast.