Gmail is the most widely used platform for email services that offers many features for its individual users and organizations. It allows you to purchase additional features to access more functionalities and to keep your account safe and secure. But there are some instances when you might forget your Gmail password. In that case, you might lose your account if you haven’t reset your password. Therefore, Gmail provides several options to reset or change your Gmail password. Here, in this article, we have mentioned detailed steps to recover Gmail passwords using various methods such as phone numbers, email addresses, and security questions.
How do I Reset Your Forgotten Gmail Password?
If you can’t remember or forget your Gmail account password, then follow the possible steps given below to reset it and to get re-access those precious emails:
- Navigate to the Gmail recovery page, i.e., https://accounts.google.com/signin/recovery.
- Enter the email address of your account that you want to access on the login page and click the “Forgot Password” button.
- Now, enter the last password that you are remembering or that you have used last time to access your Google Account. After entering the password, click on the “Next” button. Don’t panic if you have entered the wrong password; it won’t lock your account.
- Then, request a verification code to your linked mobile phone number. You will receive a verification code via a text message or a call to the number linked to your account, depending on whatever you have opted for.
- Enter the received code into the required field.
- Then, you can create a new password and will get prompted once it is successful.
The above Gmail account recovery steps will not work if you don’t have access to the phone number, in such a case you need to answer some other security questions. Usually, Google doesn’t ask you normal security questions like what is the name of your first pet. Instead, it depends on any other method like email and phone number recovery methods. After receiving the verification code of the linked recovery email address, you need to enter the received code into the required field.
How Can You Reset Your Existing Gmail Password?
It is very easy to reset your Gmail password if you already know your current password and have access to your account. All you have to do is:
- Sign in to your Gmail account by visiting myaccount.google.com.
- Click on the “Security” tab located in the left menu and keep scrolling down to the “Signing in to Google” section.
- Click the “Password” button and enter your current password if prompted on the screen.
- Enter your new password twice and click on the “CHANGE PASSWORD” button.
Unfortunately, it is not possible to get your hacked Gmail account back. This is because the hacker can also change your contact information or backup email address. Gmail offers excellent security features, i.e., Google 2-Factor Authentication (2FA), which indicates that a Gmail account is not impenetrable. If your Gmail account got hacked, then it is possible that the password and contact information of your account may have changed, but don’t panic. Google offers a separate website to tackle this problem.
Hope, the mentioned methods have helped you to resolve the issue. If the problem still persists, you’ll need to create a new Gmail account.