The reasons behind the factory resetting an iPhone could be manifolds. Whether you wish to upgrade your device to its latest version or you are handing it over to a stranger. Factory resetting your device is a must in all these situations. But most of the new and old users of the iPhone do not know the correct method to perform a factory reset. So, if you have finally decided to say goodbye to your iPhone, here is the quick resetting guide for you.
Remember, factory resetting an iPhone will wipe all the data stored on it and your phone will be restored back to normal. This helps when you do not want anybody else to get hands-on with your data.
First, back up your iPhone
Creating a backup of your iPhone is a must before you clean wipe your phone. Make sure you save all the contact details to a safe place so that you can access them later. Apart from this, you need to create a backup of your favorite music, video content, and images.
You can use iTunes on a PC to back up your files so that you can restore iPhone from iTunes later.
Use iCloud to back up your phone
Once you back up your phone using iCloud, you can restore iPhone from iCloud later. To back up your phone, use the following steps:
- Go to the Settings.
- Then, you need to tap on your name given at the top.
- After that, select iCloud.
- Further, you need to select ‘iCloud Backup’.
- Next, select ‘Back up now’.
While you back up your phone make sure it is connected to the Wi-Fi and no other program is running on it.
iPhone models covered under this method
- iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone XR
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone SE
iPhone Factory Reset Guide
With your phone backed up, you can now begin to reset your phone back to its factory settings.
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Click on the ‘General’ tab.
- Then, scroll down to the bottom and select ‘Reset’.
- On the next window, select ‘Erase All Content and Settings’.
At the time you click on this option, iPhone will ask you for the PIN of your phone. You will also be asked for the Apple ID password.
Factory reset iPhone without password
There are a couple of things to try in this scenario. First of all, you can try to do so via iTunes or use a third-party software for the same.
- To factory reset your phone via iTunes, back up its data.
- Then, connect your phone to the computer.
- Use a USB cable for the connection.
- After this, launch iTunes.
- Select ‘Restore iPhone’.
- Select ‘Restore’ on the next dialog box.
- Click ‘Next’ on the software restore window.
- Select ‘Agree’ to accept the License Terms.
- Now, iTunes will download a new version of iOS on your device.
- Your phone will be now restored.
After you factory reset the iPhone from iTunes, your phone will work like the new one. To learn more about it, visit support.apple.com/iPhone/restore.
Factory reset iPhone with buttons
- First, you need to press and hold down the iPhone’s Sleep/Wake button.
- This button is present on the right side of the iPhone.
- While holding the Sleep/Wake button, press and hold the Home button on the front.
- Keep on holding both buttons while the display remains blank.
- When you see the Apple logo on your screen, it means your iPhone is reset now.
Factory reset iPhone without apple id
To factory reset your iPhone without Apple ID or without iTunes, you need to use third-party software. But, before you try using such a method, confirm that you have backed up your data. Using third-party software will wipe away all the personalized data stored on it.
iPhone factory reset related queries
How do I reset my iPhone to factory settings without a passcode?
If you have forgotten the passcode or PIN of your iPhone, then also you can factory reset your iPhone. To do that, you need to use iTunes. After launching iTunes, select ‘Restore iPhone’ and follow some easy prompts.
Do you need WiFi to factory reset your phone?
The answer is yes as well as no. While the reset process goes on, your device does not need to be connected to the Internet. However, after the device resets, you will need Wi-Fi to sign in to your device and set it up.
How do I factory reset my iPhone without the Internet?
You specifically do not need Internet connection to reset your iPhone. Just open the ‘Settings’ menu and go to the ‘General’ tab. After that select ‘Reset’ > ‘erase all content and settings’.